Giving birth to your baby is one of the most amazing and transformative experiences you will ever go through in your lifetime. It is the act, the moment, that changes you from a woman into a Mother, from a couple into a family.
As a doula, I am blessed to bear witness to these transformations as I help you to achieve the birth that you wish to have.
In ancient Greece the word doula meant "A woman who serves". Today it is used to describe a person who provides physical, emotional and informational support during the birth of your baby. But what does this mean?
Just as no two people are alike, no two births that we have attended are alike and the support we give our clients will change dependent on their needs at any given moment. What you are guaranteed to get no matter what your birth looks like is empowerment.
Through the work that we do prenatally and as your birth unfolds, I will encourage you to dig deep and find that inner strength and power that is already deep within you. For some that is harnessing their inner warrior. For others it's more of an inner stillness. We will also be empowering your partner to be the amazing birth partner that you know they can be. Your partner possesses something that no doula can have, a deep love for you. They know you better than anyone. Your partner has the love and I have the birth experience. Together that makes us an awesome team to support you. Often if you were to walk into a birth room you would see my client breathing through contractions while their partner stands in front of them looking into their eyes and helping them keep their focus and their doula stands behind them massaging their back or squeezing their hips.
My Birth Package contains multiple meetings during your pregnancy for massage and birth preparation, comprehensive labor support as well as support as you adjust to life with your newborn.
- A complementary interview where we can get to know each other and find out if I am the doula you are looking for for your birth.
- One prenatal birth preparation session in your home where you, your partner or support person and your doula will talk about your desires for your birth and how we may best help you achieve those. We will go over your birth plan, talk about comfort measures, what to expect at home and at your birthing place and the variances of labor.
- For first time parents, a private newborn care workshop held in my Seattle studio where we will talk all things baby. We talk about the first few hours and days after your baby is born, standard hospital procedures, early breastfeeding, how to bathe, soothe and change your baby and more. This is your chance to ask any questions you may have about life with newborns.
- A complementary download of the online Spinning Babies Parent Class which teaches you exercises you can do during pregnancy to balance the hips and prepare your body for an optimal birth.
- Monthly walks around Greenlake during which you can ask questions, get to know us better and also build community with other expecting couples. Join us as often as you like from when you hire us right through until your baby is in college!
- 20% off prenatal and postpartum massages and reflexology sessions from our sister company Seattle Pregnancy Massage until your baby turns a year old.
- Phone and email support throughout your pregnancy and the first few months of your baby's life.
- Support in early labor. Initially this will be via telephone and when you or your partner feel more support is needed your doula will join you at your home
- Support throughout labor both at home and at your birth place. Every labor is different as are every laboring person's needs. Support may include physical comfort measures (massage, meditation, counter pressure, helping you to remain in the moment, etc), supporting your partner in how best to help you, helping you interpret what is going on should medical interventions be desired or necessary.
- The support of a backup doula should one be needed.
- Use of a TENS unit in labor should you wish to utilize one.
- Support in the first hour or two after you baby is born. Your doula will help you with the first breastfeed and stay until you are comfortable and ready for some family time.
- One postpartum visit to your home during the first 4 weeks of your baby's life during which your doula can answer any questions you have about the newborn period, breastfeeding and life with your newborn(s
My birth doula fee is $2000 split into two installments. The first $1500 is due at the signing of the contract and guarantees your place on our calendar. The remaining $500 is due no later than the 35th week of pregnancy.
I am proud to be part of the Swedish Doula Program which serves all of Seattle's Swedish hospitals so please note if you are giving birth at any of the Swedish hospitals you will receive the same benefits as listed above but the payment schedule is different.
Our clients say:
"A short perspective from a Dad's point of view: Emma was a phenomenal support to both my wife and I during both pregnancy and delivery. I credit the pre-birth conversations and tutorials for making us both feel more comfortable with what to expect, and how to prepare. And when the big day itself came, Emma was a champion. Emma was calm, collected, thoughtful and supportive throughout the process. She gave me great tips on how I could support my wife, in addition to directly helping with massage and other activities to ease the pains of the labor process. I think the thing that I appreciated most about having Emma there was I was able to discreetly ask questions about what was happening when the birth started to get a little dicey towards the end. Having her there allowed me to decrease my anxiety and get my questions answered without bothering the doctor or distracting my wife. And of course, that is to say nothing of the coaching and support that she gave my wife, which was also invaluable. All in all, we really, really appreciated having Emma's help with the birth of our first child" ~ Jacob